Philosophy of coaching
As a life coach I work in a helpful, empowering and non judgemental manner to support an individual to work from within to reach personal peace, joy, satisfaction and fulfilment in their journey of life. My responsibility is to discover, clarify and align with what the individual wants to achieve. By helping them identify their goals, values and truths I can support an individual to: trust in their natural abilities; increase awareness of the reality they live in; see their future potential; elicit self generated solutions and become mindful of blocks that inhibit forward growth. I increase awareness and responsibility in the individual to be self motivated, willing and able to make changes in their life for the better as is defined by the individual.
Definition of coaching
This is an ongoing professional relationship helping to achieve the desired results in an individuals life. Through this process of coaching, individuals deepen their learning, improve their life skills and enhance their quality of life. In each meeting the individual directs the focus of conversation, while the coach listens and contributes observations and questions. This interaction creates clarity and moves the individual into action (focus and awareness of choice is accelerated). Coaching concentrates on where the individual is now and what they are willing to do to get where they want to be in the future. A coach recognizes that results are a matter of the individuals intentions, choices and actions, supported by the coaches efforts and application of the coaching process.
- Professional conduct at large
- I will conduct myself in a manner that reflects positively upon the coaching profession and I will refrain from engaging in conduct or making statements that may negatively impact the publics understanding or acceptance of coaching as a profession.
- I will not knowingly make any public statements that are untrue or misleading, or make false claims in any written documents relating to the coaching profession.
- I will respect different approaches to coaching. I will honour the efforts and contributions of otherwise and not misrepresent them as my own.
- I will at all times strive to recognise personal issues that may impair, conflict or interfere with my coaching performance or my professional relationships. Whenever the facts determine the action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my coaching relationship(s).
- As a trainer or supervisor of current and potential coaches, I will conduct myself in accordance with the standards described in this code of ethics.
- I will conduct and report research with competence, honesty and within recognized scientific standards. My research will be carried out with the necessary approval or consent from those involved, and with an approach that will reasonably protect participants from any potential harm. All research efforts will be performed in a manner that complies with the laws of the country in which the research is conducted.
- I will accurately create, maintain, store and dispose of any records of work done in relation to the practice of coaching in a way that promotes confidentiality and complies with any applicable laws.
- I will be responsible for setting clear, appropriate and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact that I may have with my clients.
- I will not become sexually involved with any of my clients.
- I will construct clear agreements with my clients, and will honour all agreements made in the context of professional coaching relationships.
- I will ensure that, prior to or at the initial session, my coaching client understands the nature of coaching, the bounds of confidentiality, financial arrangements and other terms of the coaching agreement.
- I will accurately identify my qualifications, expertise and experience as a coach.
- I will not intentionally mislead or make false claims about what my client will receive from the coaching process or from me as their coach.
- I will not give my clients or prospective clients information or advice I know or believe to be misleading.
- I will not knowingly exploit any aspect of the coach-client relationship for my personal, professional or monetary advantage or benefit.
- I will respect the clients right to terminate coaching at any point during the process. I will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from our coaching relationship.
- If I believe the client would be better served by another coach, or by another resource, I will encourage the client to make a change.
- I will suggest that my client seek the services of other professionals when deemed appropriate or necessary.
- I will take all reasonable steps to notify the appropriate authorities in the event a client discloses an intention to endanger self or others.
- I will respect the confidentiality of my clients information, except as otherwise authorized by my client, or as required by law.
- I will obtain agreement from my clients before releasing their names as clients or references, or any other client identifying information.
- I will obtain agreement from the person being coached before releasing information to another person compensating me.
- I will seek to avoid conflicts between my interests and the interests of my clients.
- Whenever any actual conflict of interest or the potential for a conflict of interest arises, I will openly disclose it and fully discuss with my client how to deal with it in whatever way best serves my client.
- I will disclose to my client all anticipated compensation from third parties that I may receive for referrals of that client.
- I will only barter for services, goods or other non-monetary remuneration when it will not impair the coaching relationship.
As a professional coach, I acknowledge and agree to honour my ethical obligations to my coaching clients and colleagues and to the public at large. I believe every person is to be treated with dignity as an independent and equal human being, and to model these standards with those whom I coach. I will keep myself accountable to my peers to ensure that this code of ethics is not breeched.